Sunday, June 16, 2013

Yerevan - old and new

We've been in Yerevan for the last couple of days.  Very hot - in the 30s though I am told we can look forward to even higher temperatures as we move East over the next 2 months (50s require no movement, just sips of water and cool cloths on your neck, I'm told).

There is so much here in architecture that reminds me of the starkness of a spartant rule under communism.  Not sure if that's a prejudgous of the movies I've watched or a true reality of the times, however - clean stern lines, uniformity, absence of decore except in sculptures - more modern and expressionistic. I did not take pictures of the Genecide Museum - art and pictures depicting an entire nation in horror.

Busy markets.  Food and transportation is extremely cheap, however the tourist markets are expectedly marked up.  Sometimes a bargain - new - used top vest for 2.50 USD.  We'll be attended a live dance performance tonight.  Will see if I can take some pictures to share. Most of the group have gone to town already.  Will be off by mid afternoon myself.











No comments:

Post a Comment